Once the glue was dry, I used Rust-oleum Paint + Primer in Gloss Candy Pink to spray both the animal and lid. Simple!
I found it easiest to flip the lid on its side first and give the underside of the animal a quick shot of spray, then sit the lid flat and spray liberally from the top and each side. The paint gave great coverage. You’ll need to be very careful that the underside of the lids don’t come into contact with the paint.
I also experimented with spraying the animals and lids separately, and then gluing them together, to see if that would be any easier. It wasn’t. The animals did glue firmly even with the two painted surfaces, but I found it a bit more fiddly that way for some reason. I liked having them all in one piece – for me it just seemed easier to handle.
Just forgive the awful quality of these photos. There’s a story behind that. I was rushing to shoot a couple of pics of the party table before our guests arrived, and fumbled and DROPPED my DSLR camera onto the deck. It stopped working completely and I had to snap some pics with my iPhone instead.
Thankfully, it started working again perfectly within the hour, and I’ve had no problems with it since, but of course by the time of the camera’s resurrection all the food had been eaten. Sigh! I’m no fabulous photographer by any stretch, but iPhone photos just aren’t quite the same…
Nevertheless, the favours were a big hit with the kids, and they were all quite excited to choose the animal they liked best from the line-up and have their own special jar to take home. All up, this is one of the simplest and most effective party favour ideas I’ve tried thus far. It gets a thumbs up from me!