We’ve been in our house for almost a year, and I’ve still never shown you any pictures of Allegra’s room… until today! (Hooray!)
It’s been almost finished practically forever. The bones were there: the beauty of building new is that a lot of decorating decisions are made at the plan stage. I’d asked the builder to add VJ panelling (beadboard) to the lower part of the walls, and chose a soft girly pink for the top half – Dulux “Petite Pink”. With those two elements in place, the room already looked quite feminine and pretty.
All it really needed was something on the walls, a nice rug and some bookshelf styling.
I found the perfect rug on sale through Temple & Webster, an online shopping site. Unfortunately, because the site works on the basis of one-off sales that run for one week only, I can’t give you the source for the exact rug I used, as it’s no longer available. I do get asked about my sources quite a bit, so because I don’t like to disappoint, I found these lovelies for you at homewares super-store Zanui, with nationwide delivery for my Australian readers – just click the image to learn more. (Affiliate links used)
And because 90% of my readers are American (yes, for real!) – I can’t leave you lovely people out! Here are some adorable pink-themed rugs from U.S. sources, any of which would look oh-so-sweet in a little-girl room:
So, we had the floor rug situation sorted, and the room was looking better already.
We already had the white slipcovered armchair from Ikea, and I didn’t even buy new cushions for it, since the ones I used in Allegra’s last nursery at our old house were perfectly good. (I KNOW. How self-disciplined am I???! Let’s please pause for a moment to appreciate my restraint.)
Instead of indulging my cushion obsession, I turned my attention to a bit of bookshelf styling. The bookshelf faces the armchair. It used to be an orangey pine colour, but I painted it white and distressed it for a shabby-chic effect.
I started by emptying all the books onto the floor, and then sorting them by colour to create a rainbow effect. It’s funny – this is one of those little design tricks with big impact that I’ve seen other people do over and over, but for some reason I’d always looked at the motley assortment of books on Allegra’s shelf and thought it wouldn’t work for us. When the colours are all muddled up higgledy-piggledy like normal, it doesn’t look like you’ll have enough of any one colour to make the rainbow thing happen. It was SO much fun to give it a try and discover that we actually did have enough variety amongst our books to create some blocks of colour. And it looked pretty cool.
I found the adorable polka-dot tin buckets at Target. They hold Allegra’s tights and headbands. A few of her extra-special stuffed toys and dolls found their way onto the shelf as well. Her “everyday” toys and dolls live in the wooden box with the star cutout at the foot of her cot.
Lastly, and most important – a gallery wall for above the cot! I started with the two canvas prints of Allegra’s newborn photos, then built around those. The framed picture that says “This is the start of something beautiful” was found at Spotlight, as was the butterfly shadow-box.
Incidentally, I had planned on doing a DIY version of the butterfly art, but realised that by the time I paid for a butterfly punch, shadow-box frame and scrapbooking papers, it would be cheaper just to buy it ready-made. No point doing DIY for the sake of it. Sometimes DIY can be the more expensive option!
I had the monogram letter “A” already, and bought three more small frames to complete the arrangement, including one with a nice baroque detail. I laid them all out on the rug to get a loose feel for how they would fit together.